The men and women in our military risk their lives to defend freedom on a daily basis—and yet their own most basic freedom of religious liberty is often at risk. First Liberty Institute is on the front lines in the battle for religious liberty for all in the military.
Seasoned in defending active service members, veterans, and veterans memorials, we work to ensure that:
- Members of the military are free to hold and practice their faith as their religion and conscience dictate, without any fear or threat.
- Military chaplains are free to hold and practice their faith as their religion and conscience dictate without any fear or threat, including counseling and teaching according to their faith.
- Religious military support organizations are free to minister to members of the military and their family without any fear or threat.
- Veterans are free to honor their own through public expressions of faith, such as honoring God at military funerals.
- Veterans are free to honor their own through memorials and monuments that contain religious imagery, such as crosses and Stars of David.
- The American public is educated on the history, tradition, legacy, heritage and role of faith in our military.
Arming You With Resources
The first step anyone can take to prevent hostility against members of the military because of their religious beliefs or practices is to become educated on religious liberty rights in the military.
First Liberty Institute’s free, online Religious Liberty Protection Kit for U.S. Military includes:
- Complete Military FAQs
- Fast facts for military chaplains
- Examples of military members who protected their rights
Visit our Rights and Resources page for more.
Service members, chaplains, and veterans who are being prohibited from freely exercising their faith can call toll-free 1-800-259-9109 to report instances of abuse.